Friday 18 March 2011

Fighting the Evil Empire

Alerted by a work colleague to an anti-Murdoch petition, I took the opportunity to mangle a half-baked, pseudo-ecological observation into an argument against the expansion of the Evil Empire of said Media Tyrant ...

Dear Secretary of State,

As a ecological scientist, I have a small degree of experience studying competition, a pivotal aspect of this subject, and one never very far from the lips of red-in-tooth-and-claw capitalists (though less frequently their actions).

What I've learned from this is that, for all the immense variety of life histories on Earth, conglomerating all living matter into a single super-organism has not been a strategy that is favoured by Nature.

This may seem an obtuse point to raise with respect to Rupert Murdoch and BSkyB, but I am entirely unable to see how attempting to go where Nature has not helps either capitalist systems or the democratic habitats in which they occur.

Unlike focusing of market power in an oblique sector of the market, say a plastics conglomerate, what is being proposed by Rupert Murdoch is, effectively, a winnowing of a service critical to democracy.

As such, I would like to register my objection to the proposed deal and call on you to immediately refer it to the Competition Commission.

AXY

... Not that I expect my words to have any significance beyond me venting my distrust of the owner of the odious Fox News.

No comments: