Wednesday 11 May 2011

Desert Island Scandal

Scandalised. That's the only word for it. Via a complicated chain of contacts, I read an e-mail today that's shaken my faith in Radio 4 to the core. Responding to a reference to Desert Island Discs, C was informed, I kid you not, that ...
Ah well, my [redacted]'s friend was on a couple of weeks ago ([redacted]), and was telling my [redacted] that you initially choose 20 records - but the final choice is made by the programmers, not you. When it comes to recording, you are essentially given a 'script' just before hand - so it may be that significance you placed on one record, which doesn't make the final cut, may then be given to another of your choices...
I ask you, is nothing sacred? Sure, I figured that the programme makers might advise against certain pieces of music on grounds of duration or decency (jazz springs to mind on both counts). And, obviously, they'd edit guests down to slip neatly into the 45 minute slot. But to so comprehensively vet musical selections, and to carefully craft a faux interview? It's unconscionable is what it is. I'm not sure that I'll ever be able to listen to the programme in quite the same way ever again.

No comments: