Monday 5 January 2009

A "leading climate scientist" speaks

Further to the ocean geoengineering review that I was involved with last year, just before Christmas all of the authors of that paper were invited to take part in a survey and to comment on the topic of geoengineering by The Independent. I didn't hear a peep back from the newspaper, but they published an article on the results of the survey ...
From the numbers, it sounds like I was in the majority: that I thought a "Plan B" was necessary; and that I was less optimistic about the Earth's climate coping with anthropogenic change. As per usual, the survey's questions were to be answered YES/NO when a more nuanced response would have been better. Still, nuance isn't usually very helpful when communicating science, so perhaps it's best to be forced one way or the other.

Aside from the main article, The Independent also published a selection of the comments it got back from "leading climate scientists", and somehow I made the grade. Although I was inexplicably attributed to a different research institute on a different continent ...

No comments: