Monday 15 September 2008

Arundel and The Dogs

Off at a 40th birthday event in Brighton on Saturday. The journey afforded us an opportunity (my first) to visit the somewhat posh town of Arundel along the way. As well as having a pretty impressive castle (now a public school), it has a couple of rather impressive religious buildings ...

St. Nicholas Church ...
A rather interesting, and life-sized, biblical diorama ...
The main altar of Arundel Cathedral ...
An interesting version of Mary, here with what appeared to be a barbed wire halo ...
The birthday boy (and wife; left) blowing out his candles ...
The dogs on parade, pre-race ...
One of my dogs (the red/magenta blur) losing out to one of C's (the orange blur) ...

A rather unsuccessful evening from a betting standpoint. Of 10 races bet on [*], I managed to score an impressive 10 losses. Still, at £1 per race, I wasn't breaking the bank. C was somewhat more successful with one outright win, and one second place. Given the odds, however, that still meant a cash loss, but she was able to leave with her head held high.

[*] My record is actually even worse than this sounds. Due to a mistake making a bet, during one of the races I had actually backed 2 out of the 6 dogs that were running. And I still didn't win.

No comments: