Sunday 5 October 2008

End of my mercenary days

I should have posted this up before, but I was fortunate to bag the "marine biophysical modeller" job in the end. In fact, I officially started it earlier this week. I've still got some odds and ends to wrap up from my old job first, but I'll probably get round to starting with NEMO (my new modelling framework) later this coming week. It sounds like I've got to get a major running going pretty damn quick, so it could be quite a learning curve.

First, though, I've got a seminar on my OCCAM work to knock out. Perhaps unwisely, I've decided to fuse two separate pieces of work together under the auspices of a talk about the joys of synthetic data (i.e. "model output"). That might just wind up annoying all of those scientists (the majority at NOCS and the world in general) who collect real data. Still, I think that modelling's viewed all too often as an after-the-fact chore that needs bolting on for "completeness" rather than something that can more directly inform studies. We'll see if my colleagues agree on Wednesday. After which, the plan is to celebrate the end of my mercenary, post-doc-for-hire days at the Platform. Doubtless there'll be photos ...

2 comments:

Graham said...

Well done! "End of my mercenary day" - Does that imply that you are now a salaried employee with a contract rather than an academic?

Plumbago said...

I guess I'm no longer on a fixed term contract. In the parlance of the University, I'm "open-ended". I still have apply for money to find my salary, but I'm covered, in part, by so-called "core funding". I'll certainly be heavily involved when the time rolls round to apply for this mode of funding again. Anyway, the upshot is that I'm no longer a "gun-for-hire", but am now "long-term" (in that special, University sense of the word).